The Sarojini Nagar market will continue to remain shut with talks between Sarojini Nagar Market Shopkeepers Association and officials of the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) failing to reach a consensus on the issue of allotting more space to hawkers.
On Friday,the association met NDMC chairperson Archana Arora to revoke the decision to allocate more space to vendors in the market.
A delegation of 50 shopkeepers also met Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Sports Minister Ajay Maken to resolve the issue.
The NDMC on Thursday allocated tehbazari rights to 82 people in Sarojini Nargar Market and to 30 others in the neighbouring Babu Market.
Upset over the decision,the shopkeepers association downed shutters on Thursday. We met the NDMC chairperson and she agreed that there has been a mistake in the allocation of tehbazari. But we demanded a written assurance from the NDMC that the additional vendors will be given space elsewhere as the market is already congested. But the NDMC has refused to issue such a letter. Till the time we dont get a circular withdrawing the decision,we will continue our protest, said Pramod Sharma,president of the shopkeepers association.
According to the association,the market currently has around 120 vendors. Of these,as per the Master Plan 2012,the NDMC was planning to relocate 52 vendors. Instead,the NDMC issued a notice adding another 112 vendors to the market. If the vendors are eligible to get reallocated,they should be accommodated in some other market. The authorities should understand that the market already has more vendors than it can accommodate, Sharma said.
S S Rao,NDMC Director of Enforcement,said,The traders came to meet the chairperson. But they have not submitted anything in writing to us so far. We will examine the issue once they provide us with a proper representation. The association has kept the market shut since Thursday evening.