Delhi Jal Board (DJB) officials Thursday said the death of a contract sanitation worker at the Keshopur sewage treatment plant was “suspicious”, after an inquiry revealed that call detail records on his mobile phone for the last two to three days had been deleted.
Hours after his body was recovered, water minister Kapil Mishra sought a report from DJB officials on the incident.
Officials said it was learnt through the report that 22-year-old Vinay Sirohi had no reason to enter the main pipeline in which he was found dead. Sirohi’s death, officials said, was shrouded in suspicion as his mobile call details for the last two to three days were found deleted.
“Prima facie, the death (of Sirohi) seems very suspicious. Workers need to enter the pipeline only if it is overflowing, which was not the case. There is a protocol laid down for workers to enter. They have to put on the necessary safety gear and two of them have to enter. Nobody is allowed to enter alone. From these facts, his death, prima facie, does not seem to be accidental,” a senior official told The Indian Express.
- BJP slams Delhi Jal Board’s hike, says, people will have to pay price for AAP’s protection of corruption
- Water tariff hiked by 20%, if you’re using over 20,000 litres: Delhi Jal Board
- Arrears over Rs 3,000 crore: Clear dues or we’ll cut water supply, DJB warns govt depts
- Delhi CM takes charge of water dept, seeks deadline from DJB on ending woes
- Contract worker found dead inside pipe: No foul play behind death, say cops
- Contract worker found dead inside Delhi Jal Board sewage pipeline
According to DJB officials, the protocol requires workers entering the pipeline to wear a mask, a safety belt and a harness among other things.
The case, officials said, has been handed over to police for investigation. They added that at this stage, no magisterial inquiry has been ordered.
“We will wait for the autopsy report for things to become clear,” said a senior official.
Meanwhile, the DJB announced that it will grant compensation of Rs 1.5 lakh to Sirohi’s family and that a member of this family will be given a job on compassionate grounds.
Standard operating procedure not followed: officials
* He should not have gone alone, should have been accompanied by at least two people
* No helmet, no face masks or gum boots
* No safety rope