A 39-year-old inmate of Rohini jail was murdered by another inmate during a clash inside the prison on Friday evening.
Police identified the dead prisoner as Rajvendra Singh and said he was killed by the man against whom he had testified in a city court last year.
According to police, on Friday evening, Singh had a clash with his fellow inmates. Some of the inmates attacked Singh with a sharp weapon. Three inmates — Manpreet, Amit and Ashu — have been identified as his attackers. A judicial inquiry has been ordered in the case.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
Jail officials said the three accused had used a ‘kattam’ — a weapon fashioned out of a spoon — to stab Singh. He was rushed to the LN Hospital where he succumbed to injuries.
Sunil Gupta, law officer of Tihar Prisons, said: “Singh had testified against Manpreet in a murder case. He was an important witness in the case.
However, it will be too early to comment on the matter. A judicial inquiry is being conducted and things will become clear only after the completion of an inquiry.” The Rohini jail falls under the administration of Tihar Prisons.
Singh, a property dealer and resident of Swaroop Nagar in Northwest Delhi, was lodged in prison since last week after being arrested in connection with an attempt to murder case. Singh’s relatives said he had surrendered on April 16 when he learnt a warrant had been issued against him. On
February 10, 2013, Singh’s younger brother Narender was murdered outside his residence allegedly by Manpreet and some others. Singh along with his brothers had testified against Manpreet, police said.
Singh’s wife Sonia told reporters that she was informed of her husband’s death on Friday night. Sonia said around 11 pm, police officers came to her residence and told her that her husband had been injured. Sonia alleged that her husband had several wounds that appeared to have been inflicted by a surgical blade, all over his body.
Police have registered a case of murder at the Samaipur Badli police station and named Manpreet, Amit and Ashu in the FIR.
Singh’s younger sister Deep Kaur said, “Manpreet and his family had threatened to eliminate us for giving a statement which got him behind bars.
We were threatened right outside the court complex by Manpreet and his family. We did not take the threats seriously and presumed that he (Rajvendra) would not be harmed inside jail.”
Additional Commissioner of Police (Outer) Sanjay Kumar was not available for comment.