A 39-year-old inmate of Rohini jail was murdered by another inmate during a clash inside the prison on Friday evening.
Police identified the dead prisoner as Rajvendra Singh and said he was killed by the man against whom he had testified in a city court last year.
According to police, on Friday evening, Singh had a clash with his fellow inmates. Some of the inmates attacked Singh with a sharp weapon. Three inmates — Manpreet, Amit and Ashu — have been identified as his attackers. A judicial inquiry has been ordered in the case.
Jail officials said the three accused had used a ‘kattam’ — a weapon fashioned out of a spoon — to stab Singh. He was rushed to the LN Hospital where he succumbed to injuries.
Sunil Gupta, law officer of Tihar Prisons, said: “Singh had testified against Manpreet in a murder case. He was an important witness in the case.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
However, it will be too early to comment on the matter. A judicial inquiry is being conducted and things will become clear only after the completion of an inquiry.” The Rohini jail falls under the administration of Tihar Prisons.
Singh, a property dealer and resident of Swaroop Nagar in Northwest Delhi, was lodged in prison since last week after being arrested in connection with an attempt to murder case. Singh’s relatives said he had surrendered on April 16 when he learnt a warrant had been issued against him. On
February 10, 2013, Singh’s younger brother Narender was murdered outside his residence allegedly by Manpreet and some others. Singh along with his brothers had testified against Manpreet, police said.
Singh’s wife Sonia told reporters that she was informed of her husband’s death on Friday night. Sonia said around 11 pm, police officers came to her residence and told her that her husband had been injured. Sonia alleged that her husband had several wounds that appeared to have been inflicted by a surgical blade, all over his body.
Police have registered a case of murder at the Samaipur Badli police station and named Manpreet, Amit and Ashu in the FIR.
Singh’s younger sister Deep Kaur said, “Manpreet and his family had threatened to eliminate us for giving a statement which got him behind bars.
We were threatened right outside the court complex by Manpreet and his family. We did not take the threats seriously and presumed that he (Rajvendra) would not be harmed inside jail.”
Additional Commissioner of Police (Outer) Sanjay Kumar was not available for comment.