At the 2014 Billboard Music Awards held in Las Vegas on May 18, international singing sensation Jennifer Lopez took to the stage to perform We are one, dressed in a shimmering gold-fringed outfit. Days later, at the Kiss Concert 2014, Lopez gyrated on stage in a purple metallic fringed number as she performed her hit single On the floor. While some international publications said she channelled Tina Turner, she definitely owed some share of her sizzle to the Falguni & Shane Peacock (FSP) ensembles she donned on both occasions, and not for the first time either. The Jenny from the block singer has worn similar fringed and tasseled numbers by Mumbai-based designers Falguni and Shane before and they seem to be a staple in her style arsenal. “We always love working with JLo and her team. They always welcome innovation. After the first time we dressed her for her American Idol performance, she trusts us to design something sexy and fierce that matches her style sensibility,” says Falguni.
But Lopez is just one in a long line of pop stars the duo has clothed for red carpet appearances, stage performances and music videos. With a client-list covering most of the pop princess pantheon — from Madonna, Lady Gaga and Rihanna to Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Fergie and Nicole Scherzinger — the Peacocks are fast acquiring a reputation for dressing songstresses.
While the trademark FSP style, replete with glamour, animal prints, feathers, crystals and studs, makes quite an edgy statement, when it comes to creating outfits for performances, comfort is key, they insist. “That’s why there is a lot of flow and movement in the outfits. Also, it is important to see how the outfit will look under the lights, whether the colours will go with the concept of the show,” she says.
In comparison to styling music videos, designing stage outfits pose the bigger challenge, they say. “In live performances, there is no retake or second chance. If a crystal falls off from a costume during a music video, it is fine. But when it comes to a live concert, everything needs to be just perfect,” says Falguni.
This story appeared in print with the headline Rock Chic
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest