Sakshi Virmani & Kabir E R
Vibrant imagery from the Bolivian highlands enmeshed with contemporary culture dwell with electrifying colours of bright yellow, red, purple, fuchsia and orange at the “Namaste India” exhibition at India International Centre. The show that features works by two Bolivian artists, Giancarla Munoz Reyes and Roberto Mamani Mamani, presented by the Embassy of the Plurinational State of Bolivia, is a visual extravaganza that tells the story of Bolivian culture and heritage.
On display for the first time in India, Mamani’s paintings echo a nature theme even as they blend with his Andean identity and the topography of Bolivia. With no formal training in art, the 51-year-old paints women, archangels, grandmothers, and mountains on his canvases using watercolor with resins he prepares from various pigments.
Reyes’s sculptures, mainly masks, portray the cheerful and mystical quality of ancient Bolivian culture. Inspired by the Carnival of Oruro, an indigenous festival over 2,000 years old, the headdresses and costumes of the carnival feature prominently in her work.
The Andes have inspired many and these artists are no exception. “For me, inspiration comes from my childhood memories of the mountains of Bolivia,” says Mamani, “There are many similarities in Indian and Bolivian culture. Our cultures emanate from the Himalayas and the Andes, the river Ganges and the river Rocha.”
The exhibition closes today at the India International Centre
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
(The reporters are students of EXIMS)