Saturday’s building collapse in Tulsi Nagar was the second such incident this month. Still, in its pre-monsoon survey report, submitted to the North corporation’s Standing Committee on June 11, the corporation had shown only one building as ‘dangerous’ in the Karol Bagh zone, which, it claimed, to have demolished. Tulsi Nagar falls in the Karol Bagh zone.
Although North corporation officials said the cause of Saturday’s cave-in was digging in an adjoining plot, they admitted that many buildings in the area were sensitive and dangerous, a fact not stated in the report. The opposition had raised the issue in the house and demanded a fresh survey.
In the lane where the incident took place, the houses around the collapsed building are also in a dilapidated condition. For the Karol Bagh zone, the corporation passed 463 demolition orders for unauthorised structures in 2014. Of these, in 137 cases, action was taken.
Civic officials say owners carry out construction at night or during weekends to avoid detection by officials.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
“Even in Saturday’s incident, the owner of the plot adjacent to the building started digging on a holiday considering it a day off for the corporation,” North corporation spokesperson Yogendra Mann said.
In the Sadar Bazar building collapse on June 1 that left three dead and 12 injured, the corporation, acting swiftly, filed an FIR against the building owner and the contractor. That building too collapsed on a weekend (Sunday).
Of the three municipal corporations, the North corporation reports the most number of building collapses.