Saturday’s building collapse in Tulsi Nagar was the second such incident this month. Still, in its pre-monsoon survey report, submitted to the North corporation’s Standing Committee on June 11, the corporation had shown only one building as ‘dangerous’ in the Karol Bagh zone, which, it claimed, to have demolished. Tulsi Nagar falls in the Karol Bagh zone.
Although North corporation officials said the cause of Saturday’s cave-in was digging in an adjoining plot, they admitted that many buildings in the area were sensitive and dangerous, a fact not stated in the report. The opposition had raised the issue in the house and demanded a fresh survey.
In the lane where the incident took place, the houses around the collapsed building are also in a dilapidated condition. For the Karol Bagh zone, the corporation passed 463 demolition orders for unauthorised structures in 2014. Of these, in 137 cases, action was taken.
Civic officials say owners carry out construction at night or during weekends to avoid detection by officials.
“Even in Saturday’s incident, the owner of the plot adjacent to the building started digging on a holiday considering it a day off for the corporation,” North corporation spokesperson Yogendra Mann said.
In the Sadar Bazar building collapse on June 1 that left three dead and 12 injured, the corporation, acting swiftly, filed an FIR against the building owner and the contractor. That building too collapsed on a weekend (Sunday).
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Of the three municipal corporations, the North corporation reports the most number of building collapses.