A BJP MP has requested Prime Minister Narendra Modi to rename Aurangzeb Road, in Lutyen’s Bungalow Zone, after former President A P J Abdul Kalam, who passed away in Shillong on July 27.
In a meeting with the PM on Friday, East Delhi MP Maheish Girri submitted a proposal to this effect. He also met Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu over the same request.
According to Girri, renaming the road would not only be a great way of honouring Kalam’s legacy, it would also be an opportunity to “correct mistakes made in history”.
- BJP MP who changed Aurangzeb Road name receives Shivaji Award of Courage
- Aurangzeb was a ‘terrorist’ whereas Dara Shukoh stood for true Islamic values: BJP MP Maheish Girri
- No Sangh role in road renaming, was Pak-origin Muslim’s idea: Organiser
- Renaming Aurangzeb Road- Kalam dragged into controversy he tried to avoid all his life: Congress
- Simply put: The procedure of renaming roads, and reasons for seeking change
- Delhi exits ‘cruel’ Aurangzeb Road for ‘kind’ Abdul Kalam
Elaborating on why he thinks Aurangzeb Road should be renamed, Girri said, “When one thinks of Aurangzeb, his brutality comes to mind. Instead of immortalising him, we have a chance to replace this with a better example.”
Kalam, who is known for his “patriotism, compassion and service to the nation”, is the “best name to put on a plaque” instead of that of the Mughal Emperor, he said.
He claimed that both PM and Naidu had responded positively to his request. “I am confident that (approval for the) demand will come through soon,” the MP said.
Girri, a former international director of the Art of Living Foundation, has claimed that he has support from the public as well as senior political leaders in his efforts to rename the road.
He added that the growing clamour to rename Aurangzeb Road, on the internet, led him to draw up a formal proposal to actualise this demand.
Girri is hopeful that an official announcement on renaming the road will be made on Independence Day this year.
“I have requested Modiji to make this announcement on August 15. It will be a fitting homage to the former President as this is not a political demand but a demand made by common citizens of the country,” said the BJP MP.