They took on veteran politicians in their turf and defeated them with decisive majorities. But with uncertainty over government formation in Delhi,the three newly elected women MLAs from the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP),all first-timers,have already started campaigning in their constituencies in preparation for a re-poll.
Veena Anand (Patel Nagar),Bandana Kumari (Shalimar Bagh) and Rakhi Birla (Mangolpuri) started as activists in the Jan Lokpal movement with Anna Hazare. When Arvind Kejriwal chose to start a political party,they joined him.
There has been no looking back. I think women understand politics better simply because they are more sensitive and understand the pulse of the people. That is why I joined politics. It is a good way to serve the people, Kumari said.
Kumari said if there was a re-poll,she would win her seat.
I will win my seat again… 100 per cent. In fact,if there is a re-poll,more women candidates from the AAP will come to power and I think that will lead to better politics… more civilised politics, she said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Anand,whose win by 6,262 votes was declared at the party headquarters by AAP leader Kumar Vishwas,has been busy holding public meetings in her constituency.
We are not scared of re-elections. We are not lazy politicians who sit back after winning. We are all first-timers and joined politics with a desire to serve people. We have been meeting people to understand their problems and solve them, she said.
All three young MLAs hold womens safety as their top priority. When we met after our victories at the party office,we decided to accord top priority to womens safety. We have had a woman chief minister for
15 years. But Delhi still wears the tag of being the most unsafe metro city. We want to change mindsets through better systems, Kumari said.
Birla (25),a former journalist with a private news channel,defeated three-time Congress MLA and minister Raj Kumar Chauhan by a margin of 10,585 votes in Mangolpuri. Her father was associated with the Congress for a long time,but quit the party in 2011 during the Jan Lokpal movement.
Rakhi said AAPs success was a more of a revolution.
I was able to defeat Raj Kumar Chauhan because I made people believe the AAP was not working for political gains but to bring a revolution in Delhi. Our campaigning was very simple,we did not spend too much money as we did not have any. We just made sure we went door-to-door and told people the importance of their vote, she said.
Birla is confident that AAP will secure a majority in the event of a re-poll.
We have the publics support. If the people are with us,we need not worry. We will keep working selflessly for them and we are sure that they will not let us down. If there is a re-election,we will come to power by double the margin we have now, she said.