A 52-year-old R&AW officer, his wife and two children were found dead in their residence in Sadiq Nagar, South Delhi, on Saturday.
Police said Anannya Chakraborty was a field officer with R&AW. His body was found hanging while those of his wife Jayshree (47), son Arnab (17) and daughter Disha (11) were found in a pool of blood in one of the rooms. The incident was reported to police around 3.30 pm on Saturday by security guards and neighbours who got no response from the family, despite them knocking on the flat door repeatedly.
Police found the four dead in one of the rooms. Investigating officers said a blood-stained hammer was found near the bodies.
Police suspect that Anannya killed his wife and children before committing suicide. Prima facie, police ruled out foul play because the flat was locked from inside.
DCP (South) B S Jaiswal said police had not recovered any suicide note. “We are looking into the case. It is too early to comment,”he said.
One of the neighbours told Newsline about the sequence of events which led to the discovery of the bodies. He said around 10 am, the Chakrabortys’ domestic help Anita rang the doorbell several times but got no response. Anita told neighbours and the guard that no one was answering the doorbell.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
A close friend of the family, who lives nearby, also reached the house, and told neighbours that Anannya was not answering the phone either.
“All of us assembled in the garden in front of the building and called out to him, but to no avail. The security guard also climbed the water pipe to reach the second-floor balcony but he could not see anything as the large window was bolted from inside. We then decided to call police,” Debarathi, one of the residents of the colony, said.
Neighbours said the family had been residing in the three-bedroom Type IV government flat for the past 3-4 years. Before that the family stayed in Pushp Vihar.
Anannya, police said, was earlier posted in Kolkata. He hailed from Orissa while his wife was from Kolkata.
Jayshree had been teaching at Lady Irwin School for the past two months. The two children, Arnab and Disha, were students of Kendriya Vidyalaya in Masjid Moth.
Arnab’s classmate, who came to the spot after he heard about the incident, said Arnab had recently been made the headboy in the school.
Until late Saturday, police were at the spot, lifting fingerprints and taking photographs of the crime scene. Police said the bodies had been sent for an autopsy.
Police are probing if a financial problem or marital discord led to the tragedy.
Some women in the colony said they last saw Jayshree on Friday evening. She was spotted buying vegetables at the local market. A family friend, who alerted police, told neighbours that the couple had visited him on Friday night. “Anannya’s friend told us that on Friday night, the couple had come to his house to visit his mother as she was unwell,” a nieghbour said. Police believe the deaths occurred on Friday night.