Clashes broke out in Nand Nagri area of Northeast Delhi on Friday, allegedly triggered by a quarrel over kite-flying. Five persons were injured in the clashes between Hindu and Muslim groups in the area.
Police said around 100 residents — youths from Valmiki and Muslim communities — came together to fly kites to celebrate Independence Day. Around noon, a quarrel broke out regarding the positions of kites of residents of C 2 block.
Soon, police said, the situation turned violent, with both groups hurling beer bottles at each other. A police motorcycle parked in one of the lanes was torched by the residents.
During the clash, police said, several windowpanes of a building nearby were smashed. Residents, however, claimed that tension between the two groups began in the morning, because one of the groups objected to the other gambling and playing cards.
Police officers were deployed there till late evening. DCP(Northeast) R A Sanjeev said, “The clash broke out while they were flying kites. The situation is under control now. We rushed to the spot to ensure that violence does not escalate. We will register a case of rioting. We are trying to identify persons who were involved in the violence.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More