Public Works Department (PWD) minister Satyendra Jain on Monday asked the officials of the Transport department to make a presentation and apprise him about various aspects related to the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) corridor in the city.
While government sources said that a review of the BRT was already on the cards, the death of an 11-year-old boy on March 13 on the BRT corridor at Ambedkar Nagar prompted the action taken on Monday.
Officials said Jain wants to be apprised on various aspects of the BRT — the purpose behind the corridor, whether or not this had been achieved, stands taken by various stakeholders, reasons for complaints against it, and scope for its improvement.
- Lessons from Bogota: New BRT corridor in Delhi may not take off anytime soon
- Manish Sisodia starts dismantling the BRT: Don’t need copy-paste
- Delhi's BRT set to be scrapped: good idea, poorly implemented
- In-principle approval to scrap ‘failed’ BRT corridor
- Second BRT stretch moves into fast lane
- Court order gives wings to 14 proposed BRTs
Four MLAs, including former transport minister Saurabh Bharadwaj, had met Jain on Saturday urging him to look into the matter. As transport minister during the 49-day rule of the AAP in 2013-14, Bharadwaj had moved a cabinet note for scrapping of the corridor.
“The action will be taken jointly by the PWD and the Transport department. The Delhi Integrated Multi-modal Transit System (DIMTS) will be asked to make a presentation about various points related to the BRT,” a source in the government said.
“The last time (2013-14), the chief minister (Arvind Kejriwal) had appeared agreeable to the scrapping of the corridor. The Traffic police had also told the Lt-Governor that they were in favour of scrapping it. The minister has asked for a presentation as soon as possible. There has been no decision on scrapping or anything else as yet,” the source said.