The Crime Branch on Thursday evening conducted a raid at the house of MLA Rambir Shokeen on allegations that criminals were being harboured and weapons were being stocked there. Shokeen termed the police raid as a ‘ political conspiracy ‘ and claimed he was innocent. The Mundka MLA is the lone Independent MLA in the Delhi Assembly.
Sources said around 5 pm, a team of Crime Branch officers reached Shokeen’s Nangloi residence looking for his relative Neeraj Bawana, a man wanted in connection with several criminal cases.
At the time of the raid, the MLA was not at his residence. Police sources said after an hour’s search, neither Neeraj Bawana nor his aides could be found.
Bawana is one of the most wanted men in the capital. He was lodged in Tihar Jail since the past one year and was granted interim bail till December 15, but he jumped bail.
Police have linked him to the murder of two brothers, who were shot dead in Bawana over a parking dispute on March 1.
According to police, Bawana is the leader of the Neeraj Bawana gang which is involved in several cases of extortions, illegal weapons smuggling and murders.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Police sources said they were also looking for Bawana’s associates who had shot dead the brothers, Kartar Singh and Kaptan Singh.
Police sources said they may send a notice asking Shokeen to come for questioning. Addl Commissioner of Police (Crime) R S Yadav said, “We had conducted a search at Shokeen’s residence after taking a warrant from the designated court.”
In 2012, Bawana had been arrested from Rohini on a complaint filed by former Narela MLA Jaswant Rana’s son who alleged that Bawana had demanded a sum of Rs 50 lakh as ‘protection money’.
MLA Shokeen told Newsline that he was a victim of political conspiracy.
“At least 50 policemen came to my house and said I was harbouring criminals. They could not find anyone and left my house. I have not even slapped anyone in my life, so there is no case against me. It is true that Neeraj Bawana is my relative, but I have not met him for the past so many years. Sushil Kumar, who won an Olympic medal, is also my relative but no one wants to talk about it. Since I became an MLA two months ago, I have been facing such problems.”
Shokeen also said he had a wife and three children at home and so it was a surprise that he would be accused of harbouring criminals. Meanwhile, other teams of the Crime Branch have been conducting raids at several places to arrest the accused in the twin murder case.