Even as the Delhi government is in the process of revising the circle rate structure, a PIL has been filed in the Delhi High Court to strike down the existing circle rate policy on grounds that it violates the laws under which it was created.
Circle rates are minimum rates decided by government authorities for valuation of land and properties in a particular area.
A bench of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice R S Endlaw last week issued notice to the Delhi government and the Central government to respond to the plea filed by Delhi resident Amit Gupta. In his plea, Gupta claimed that the circle rate notifications and policy had violated the provisions of the Stamp Act and the Delhi Municipal Corporation (DMC) Act with regard to stamp duty and registration.
“This leads to a pitiable situation where the prescribed circle rates are completely arbitrary and unreasonable and are much higher than actual/market rates. The objective behind the Stamp Act, as well as the Under-Valuation Rules, was to prevent undervaluation of instruments — not to create a reverse situation where the prescribed circle rates exceed the actual market value of the property. This illegality is further compounded by the fact that the prevailing circle rates policy (as set out above) denies parties the rights and safeguards expressly set out in the Act,” the plea says.
The petition, filed through senior advocate Ravi Gupta and advocate Anirudh Wadhwa, further states that the current circle rate policy forces people to pay higher stamp duty and transfer duty than is contemplated in the Stamp Act and the DMC Act.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016