Expressing its dissatisfaction with the implementation of various directions issued by the court to ensure security of people from Northeast states in the city, the Delhi High Court on Thursday called for reports from all agencies involved to tackle the issue.
“We are pained to note that despite our being seized of the issue and despite issuance of detailed directions, such incidents, rather than abating, continue to occur”, the court of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice RS Endlaw noted.
The court had in February taken suo motu cognisance of the death of 19-year-old student Nido Tania after an alleged “racial” altercation.
Senior advocate Upamanyu Hazarika, counsel for a group of NGOs working for people from the Northeast, had informed the court on Wednesday that there was a “propensity of such incidents in localities such as Kotla Mubarakpur, Lajpat Nagar and in or around Delhi University”. The court has now directed the SHOs of the police stations in these areas to “submit a report of their assessment of the situation, the reasons for such incidents and the preventive steps being taken by them.”
The court also noted that the Special Police Unit, which deals with crimes against Northeasterners, was not functioning properly. The court further asked police to explain “why the setting up of the said cell is appearing to be ineffective”. A similar report has also been sought from the Delhi State Legal Services Authority (DLSA), which had been made responsible for conducting sensitisation and public education meetings.
The court, in its order, also noted that the Home Ministry in February had formed a committee to look into concerns of people hailing from the Northeast, but the report is yet to be submitted.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
In a related matter, the court issued a contempt of court notice to two lawyers accused in the Tis Hazari assault case. The court also sought a status report from Delhi government on the steps taken by them after registration of FIR against the lawyers, Azad Chandra Prakash Gautam and Varun Kumar Jain.
Further, the court has sought a comprehensive and detailed report about the incident which had occurred on May 23, 2014 at Tis Hazari court premises.
The court also sought a report from the Tis Hazari court about the present status of the proceedings in a molestation case, which had led to the incident of May 23. Both cases will now be taken up by the court on August 11.
The two lawyers stand accused of allegedly assaulting and intimidating a woman lawyer and her associates hailing from the Northeast, within the premises of the Tis Hazari court to prevent them from representing a molestation victim.