More than five days after the murder of 26-year-old Simranjeet, police are yet to gather any leads on who murdered the assistant manager with a global consultancy.
So far, police have questioned family members, local residents and suspects to piece together the chain of events and identify her killer.
Simranjeet was stabbed right outside her aunt’s house in Karol Bagh while on her way to meet her aunt on February 14. She was walking to her aunt’s house from the Karol Bagh Metro station when an armed assailant stabbed her to death.
The grainy CCTV footage — of the assailant following Simranjeet moments before she was stabbed — has been sent to the Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) for leads on her attacker.
Prima facie, police have ruled out robbery as her expensive smartphone, purse, laptop and jewellery were left untouched by the attacker.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Police said there was nothing on Simranjeet’s cellphone and call data records to indicate that she was being harassed by someone.
As she was murdered on Valentine’s Day, police are probing if there was a stalker or a jilted lover Simranjeet was not aware of.
Simranjeet’s husband Manveet is a senior manager with HCL. She had met him while studying for MBA at Amity University in Noida. The couple had got married in 2012.
Simranjeet’s friends and colleagues in office reportedly told police that the couple had celebrated Valentine’s Day on February 13.
Her friends told police that she had purchased a cake from a Noida- based bakery for the celebration.
Police officers investigating the case said they were trying to unravel how the assailant knew that she would be visiting her aunt on February 14.
On the day of the incident, Simranjeet had left office with her colleagues and taken an office cab till the Mayur Vihar Metro station. Her cousin had delivered a son on February 11 and was discharged on the morning of February 14. Hence, she had planned a surprise visit to her aunt’s house.
Just hours before leaving office, she had called her aunt and told her she was planning a surprise for her.
“Simranjeet usually took a cab to work every day. An office cab would drop her home. It was a last-minute decision on her part to go to Karol Bagh in a Metro from Mayur Vihar,” a police officer said.
Family members who have returned from their hometown in Jalandhar, have told police that Manveet, still in Jalandhar, was in shock and would join the investigations next week.