The Delhi High Court on Wednesday upheld the trial court’s order of life sentence to three convicts in 2002 Nitish Katara murder case.
The court pronounced the judgement upholding the life sentence of convicts including Vikas Yadav, son of UP politician D P Yadav for the abduction and murder of Nitish Katara in 2002, saying it was a case of “honour killing”.
It will hear arguments on quantum of sentence on April 25.
“The appeals are devoid of merit. We have also held that the killing of Nitish Katara was a honour killing,” the bench said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The high court’s judgement came nearly a year after it had reserved its verdict on April 16 last year.
Welcoming the Delhi HC verdict, Neelam Katara, mother of the victim said: “As the citizen of India and as a mother, I am very happy with this verdict.”
Talking to the reporters outside court, Neelam said: “It is a difficult fight for anyone taking criminals at this level.”
Neelam had filed a plea seeking death penalty to the persons found guilty by the lower court.
Vikas Yadav was convicted in 2008 along with his cousin Vishal for kidnapping and murdering Nitish.
The two had killed Nitish on February 17, 2002 after kidnapping him from a marriage party in Ghaziabad as they were opposed to his relationship with their sister Bharti.
Vikas, Vishal and Sukhdev Pehalwan are serving life term for abducting and killing Nitish Katara, a business executive and son of an IAS officer, on the intervening night of February 16-17, 2002.
Their accomplice Pehalwan, who had absconded for some time but was arrested in 2005, was tried separately and sentenced to life term by the trial court.
(With PTI inputs)