The youth held in connection with the rape of a 14-year-old Manipuri girl, had been detained by police earlier on two instances, police said on Sunday. The girl was kidnapped and raped, allegedly by the youth, in Vasant Vihar on Friday night, when she stepped out of her home to go to a pharmacy.
On Saturday, the girl had helped police identify the accused from CCTV footage of the area. Following that, the youth was detained.
According to police, the youth had been detained in July last year after a woman had filed a complaint accusing him of stalking and harassing her. Based on the woman’s complaint, a case under Section 354 D of the IPC had been registered against him, police said.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
In the first week of January, the youth had been put under preventive arrest after he had got involved in a brawl, police said.
“During questioning, we checked the track record of the accused and found out about his involvement in the two cases. The interrogation of the accused is on,” a police officer said.
Meanwhile, the Manipuri girl recorded her statement before the magistrate under Section 164 of the CrPC. The girl has also refused to participate in a Test-Identification Parade (TIP) of the accused.
Police said the girl was still in a state of shock and was being given professional counselling. She has reportedly told police that she does not want to face the youth again.
The youth was produced in a Patiala House court and was remanded in two days’ police custody for further questioning.
Representatives of Northeast Students’ Association, along with JNU students, held a protest outside the court where the accused was produced. They demanded that a stringent anti-racial law be put in place and said they would not settle for anything less than capital punishment.
Minor girl raped in Northeast Delhi
A class I student was raped allegedly by her 33-year-old neighbour in Northeast Delhi’s GTB Enclave area on Sunday evening. The accused has been identified as Ravinder, a resident of Tahirpur. Police said the man lured the girl with food and took her to a secluded area, where he allegedly raped her. When the girl raised an alarm, he left the girl there and fled.
A senior police officer said, “Residents of the area found the girl crying and took her to her parents. She complained of pain and told her parents about the incident. A case has been registered and medical examination of the girl has confirmed rape.”