The New Delhi Municipal Council has set the ball rolling for modernisation of its old parking lots which will include computerised facility and an online booking system.
The plan will be first initiated at Janpath and the parking lots at Connaught Place’s A-block, NDMC officials said.
The civic body then plans to extend the computerised parking system in other NDMC areas which remain busy throughout the day such as Khan Market, Sarojini Nagar market, Dilli Haat, and Shankar Market.
The new facility will include an online booking system wherein the vehicle owners can book parking lots through the NDMC website.
Charges will be applicable on the basis of the duration for which the vehicle was parked by the driver. Drivers can buy a ‘park card’ to use the facility. The registration number of the vehicle will be scanned and the in-time will be recorded, they said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The plan was conceived last year to end the perennial problem of chaos in the parking lots in the busy market areas and overcharging by private parking contractors, officials said.
NDMC has handed over the project to the Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System Limited (DIMTS), which is carrying out a feasibility survey in 99 of 103 parking lots in areas under the jurisdiction of the municipal body.
“We have handed over the project to DIMTS. It is conducting a field study and the new system will be implemented in the next 5-7 days. We were waiting for the Lok Sabha elections in Delhi to get over,” NDMC chairperson Jalaj Srivastava said.
“The plan is to bring in the billboard system which will be continuously updating the space available in a particular parking lot. A vehicle will not be able to enter the lot if it is full and an automated computerised board will show the next available spot to the driver,” Srivastava said.
Alleging that parking mafia currently allow vehicles to enter parking areas even after the lots are filled, he said he new system will bring in order to chaos.
The parking facility is already available in other metropolitan cities like Bangalore and is convenient for vehicles owners.
Also, hand-held devices will be provided at 73 parking spaces as a fall-back mechanism to issue parking tickets.