Presenting its Budget for the financial year 2014-15, the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) on Wednesday offered relaxations on power and water tariffs to consumers, in line with the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government’s policies.
Despite reeling under losses, the NDMC has even gone back on its proposal to make the laws stringent for people engaging in commercial activity and not paying their dues at dhobi ghats.
The agency, which has been suffering losses in electricity supply and purchase for three consecutive years, the NDMC, in its Budget, announced 50 per cent subsidy on power tariff for consumers using up to 400 units per month.
Announcing relaxation in water tariff for washermen engaged in commercial activity at dhobi ghats, the NDMC went back on its earlier proposal.
“Considering the long-pending demand of the associations of washermen that commercial water tariff, which was imposed on dhobi ghats from April 2005, was not tenable in view of the fact that washermen belong to weaker sections of society and this is the only commercial activity they engage in, a new category of water tariff has been created for 16 dhobi ghats. The new tariff is 2.5 times of the maximum domestic rate prevailing from time to time,” the Budget proposal said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
According to NDMC’s earlier proposal, “… It has been proposed to set up a management committee… to manage the affairs of these ghats. If payments for water and electricity use are not received from the committee, the connections will be dealt with according to provisions of the Delhi Electricity Act 2013 or guidelines issued by the Delhi Jal Board.”
NDMC’s expenditure on water supply for 2013-14 was Rs 117.40 crore, whereas its revenue earnings was Rs 97.36 crore.
On how the agency plans to offset the losses on the power front, NDMC chairman Jalaj Srivastava said, “We are in the process of drawing smart trade options to reduce losses…”
“Electricity distribution and supply by the council has traditionally been revenue surplus. However, since the advent of a new regime of regulations, power-purchase agreements and other obligations imposed by the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC), the council has been incurring losses over the last three years…,” he said.
NDMC chairman Jalaj Srivastava praised the renovation but added that Scindia House, Middle Circle and radial roads left out during 2010 will be given a makeover.
Automated multi-level parking at Baba Kharak Singh Marg and Sarojini Nagar “Although we developed fully automated parking lots, they have not been complete success stories possibly due to perceptions and habits. Parallel urban planning in the markets is also called for. We need to decongest major shopping desptinations such as Khan Market, Gol Market and Dilli Haat. We are working towards underground car corridors around these markets and link them to newly identified sites,” he said.
Fragrance Park to be developed in Laxmi Bai Nagar; a cactus house will come up at Lodhi Garden nursery, 10 acupressure paths shall be created in various parks at Sarojini Nagar, Malcha Marg, DIZ area and Jor Bagh.
The NDMC plans to procure new and improved insecticides for vector-control programme in NDMC area, microfilming and digitisation of birth and death records are among the proposals.
State-of-art training institute for primary teachers from next financial year, residential facility for 50 girl students.
Upgrading municipal markets
Mohan Singh Place, Mayur Bhawan, Palika Bazar, Lok Nayak Bhawan and Palika Place in next financial year
MoU signed with Solar Energy Corporation of India for excuting rooftop solar energy generation modules on major buildings.
Plan to cover full NDMC area with CCTV-based system to secure senior citizens, women and children through general vigil. Making NDMC area a WiFi zone.