Muslim leaders on Thursday backed Congress MLA from Okhla Asif Mohammad Khan’s demand that the Batla House encounter should be probed, though disagreeing with the manner in which the demand was raised by the legislator.
“Asif is very troubled about the issue and I don’t blame him for taking up the matter. Now that Kejriwal has begun this riyaz of raking up old issues and probing them, there is no reason why the Batla House encounter should not also be probed. But while I agree with his demand, there is no question of the Congress retracting its support to the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP),” senior Congress leader Mateen Ahmed said.
Shoaib Iqbal, JD(U) MLA from Matia Mahal, said he did not agree with Kejriwal that there would be no more probe into the matter. He also criticised what he termed the Congress’ “duplicity”.
“The Congress is making the demand now only as a political ploy to gain traction among Muslim voters. There should be a judicial probe into the matter and there is, honestly, no reason why Kejriwal shouldn’t start one…,” he said.
Jamia Teachers Solidarity Association president Manisha Sethi, too, said there should be a judicial probe into the matter. “From day one, the demand was for a judicial probe by a sitting judge of the Supreme Court, not an SIT probe,” she said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari also favoured a judicial probe. “The Muslim community has faith in the Indian judiciary… If a probe is started, the truth about the encounter will come forth,” he said.