A fire broke out in the storeroom of a restaurant in South Delhi’s Hauz Khas Village on Friday afternoon. No one was injured, but fire officials said chaos broke out briefly after people, eating in the restaurant at the time, ran out of the place, fearing for their lives.
Seeing smoke rising from the rooftop of the building, people in adjoining restaurants too came out on the roads.
Business was affected as no one went inside any restaurant in the area for over two hours.
Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot and the fire was put out within an hour, fire officials said.
A Fire department official said a short circuit in an window AC on the terrace started the fire that spread to the storeroom, packed with old furniture.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“We saw smoke on the terrace of the restaurant and all of us ran out to save our lives. It was very scary. But the fire was brought under control within an hour,” an eyewitness said.
Fire department officials said they received a call at 2.15 pm. Fire department chief Dr A K Sharma said despite the area being congested, firemen doused the flames in less than one hour.
“The fire was a minor one. It took only an hour to douse it and we did not have to evacuate the premises,” he said.
In another incident, a tempo caught fire outside the Moti Bagh gurdwara around 2.30 pm on Friday. Two fire tenders were rushed to the spot and the flames put out in an hour.
Fire officials said the engine of the tempo caught fire because of the heat.
Another blaze was reported from the NCERT building on Aurobindo Marg in Central Delhi at 5 pm.
“The electrical panel on the ground floor of the building caught fire, which was quickly doused. We sent eight fire tenders to the spot,” a fire official said.