Hours after police confirmed that a Danish tourist had been gangraped in the heart of the city, Delhi Law Minister Somnath Bharti named the victim in an official statement, only to retract it a little later.
“By mistake, the name of the rape victim has gone in the press release, please do not use it and consider it as not being a part of the press release. Inconvenience regretted,” his office clarified.
Bharti also claimed that the victim collapsed at the Delhi airport while returning to Denmark. “The victim collapsed at the airport. But I have been told she was given proper care,” he said.
The minister said an embassy official, who was accompanying the victim to the airport, was not allowed inside by airport security.
Police deployed outside the airport, however, denied any such incident.
“We do not have any information about the victim collapsing. If there is any case of a passenger feeling even slightly uneasy, we refer him/her to the Medanta clinic located in the terminal. We have checked our records, the Danish woman was not taken to the clinic,” an officer said.
Terming the gangrape shameful, Bharti said law and order should be under the control of the Delhi government. “Had law and order been under the Delhi government, effective measures could be taken to make the capital a safer place and the best tourist destination in India and Asia,” he said.
Meanwhile, the 51-year-old victim’s medical examination was conducted at a hospital in Copenhagen. The report will be mailed to the Delhi Police by Monday. The Delhi Police is in touch with the Embassy of Denmark as well.
Explaining the procedure in the case, a police officer said, “In the December 16 gangrape case, we got the post-mortem report from Singapore. In this case, we will get the medical examination report from Denmark. A testimony for the same will be taken from the court, and, hence, it will be valid. It is an important evidence in the case.”