- Delhi Odd-Even scheme to roll-out from Nov 13: Who all are exempted from following?
- Delhi air pollution LIVE updates: Kejriwal govt wants PM to convene emergency meeting; ‘Odd-Even’ to be implemented from November 13 till 17
- For Delhi, AAP wants crop burning to stop, in Punjab its leader helps set fields on fire
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) achieved a major milestone on Wednesday when its Tunnel Boring Machine completed a 586-metre run from Jangpura in South Delhi and broke through to Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium Metro station. This stretch is part of Metros Central Secretariat to Badarpur corridor.
The machine was lowered in the tunnel at Jungpura shaft on September 9,2008 and boring done 15 or 16 metres below the surface began on October 13.
DMRC spokesperson Anuj Dayal said since Nehru Stadium is the main venue for the Commonwealth Games,the Metro station there would provide connectivity to other parts of Delhi.
Another tunnel boring machine is working at present on a parallel up-line and is likely to make a breakthrough after 10 days. Two other machines are deployed on Udyog Bhawan-Khan Market stretch. Tunneling activities on the corridor are expected to be completed by this August, Dayal said.
The Central SecretariatBadarpur corridor is slated for a September 2010 completion.
Tunnel boring machines to be used for Metros phase-II construction
Underground section in phase-II; of this 16 km are to be built with tunnel boring machines
* Vishwavidyalaya-Jahangirpuri line is slated for a January 31 inauguration
* Operations scheduled to begin from February 1
* The 6.38-km line is expected to carry 1.5 lakh passengers daily