Delhi Police is going to request the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) to try the juvenile — who allegedly mowed down a 35-year-old man in Civil Lines with his Mercedes Monday night — as an adult. The boy, who was apprehended Wednesday, has been found to be a repeat offender of rash and negligent driving.
Meanwhile, a court Saturday remanded his father, who was arrested on charges of culpable homicide and abetment, to police custody for one day .
- Gurgaon Schoolboy’s death: Court takes cognisance of charge sheet
- Delhi Mercedes hit-and-run case: Court seeks reply from police
- Mercedes hit-and-run case: JJB accepts cop plea, juvenile could be first to be tried as adult
- Delhi Mercedes hit-and-run case: Juvenile Justice Board to pronounce order today
- Mercedes hit-and-run case: Police to move plea to try juvenile accused as adult
- Mercedes hit-and-run case: Juvenile sent to remand home for a day; father gets bail
“The boy has also been booked under sections of culpable homicide, along with his father, and we will request the JJB for permission to try him as an adult while prosecuting him,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police Madhur Verma.
Police have also recovered an identity card of Delhi University that allegedly belongs to the juvenile. In the ID card, the boy’s name has been changed but his address and father’s name remain the same, said sources. Police have also seized the juvenile’s passport.
There are several witnesses to the earlier traffic violations committed by the juvenile, said sources. Last year, he was challaned thrice — twice for overspeeding and once for parking in a wrong spot.
The case has been transferred to the district investigation unit.
On Friday, Delhi Police had said, “On examination of CCTV footage, the possibility of knowledge to the accused juvenile offender that his extremely fast driving in a residential area can cause a death cannot be ruled out.” Sharma, who lived near the accident site, was mowed down while crossing the road. The car was travelling at over 100 kmph, said police.