A DAY after Pakistan expelled an Indian High Commission staffer, India on Friday condemned Pakistan’s decision and said that the action further confirms that Pakistan continues to be in denial of anti-India activities, including cross-border terrorism. The Ministry of External Affairs’ official spokesperson Vikas Swarup said no justification has been provided by Pakistan, barring the “completely baseless and unsubstantiated” allegation that his activities were not in keeping with diplomatic norms.
“(The) government notes with regret Pakistan’s decision to declare Surjeet Singh, Assistant Personnel and Welfare Officer in the High Commission of India in Islamabad, persona non grata and expel him and his family members…. The government condemns Pakistan’s step,” Swarup said.
He also said, “It is obvious that the step is an afterthought following yesterday’s apprehension of Pakistan High Commission staffer Mehmood Akhtar in Delhi while indulging in anti-India activities. Pakistan’s action further confirms that it continues to be in denial of its anti-India activities, including cross-border terrorism,” Swarup said.
Within hours of India expelling Akhtar on Thursday, Pakistan declared Singh as persona non grata and asked him to leave the country within 48 hours.
The Pakistan Foreign Secretary, who had summoned Indian High Commissioner Gautam Bambawale to convey the decision, “expressed deep concern over the activities of the Indian official that were in violation of the Vienna Convention and the established diplomatic norms”, the Pakistan Foreign Office said in a statement.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review