Two men were arrested on the charge of molesting and assaulting a 24-year-old Manipuri student in Northwest Delhi’s Model Town area on Friday night.
The two accused have been identified as Kamal and Manpreet. Both are labourers, police said.
Minutes after the incident, several students from the Northeast staged a protest in the area and threw stones at police. Three police cars and 17 cars belonging to local residents were damaged and 21 policemen injured in the violence, police said.
According to police, the incident was reported around 10.30 pm. The Manipuri woman, who is pursuing her BEd from Delhi University, was returning to her paying guest accommodation in Vijay Nagar’s Old Gupta Colony with her cousin, who is an IAS aspirant.
Police said the cousin was to drop the woman home before returning to his rented accommodation in the area.
According to the woman’s statement to police, she was just outside her PG accommodation when Kamal, who was relieving himself nearby, passed lewd remarks and made obscene gestures at her. The woman said he also made racist comments about her and her cousin.
The woman told police that when her cousin protested, Kamal came up to him and thrashed her cousin. Kamal also called out to his friend Manpreet, who was nearby. The woman alleged that Manpreet and Kamal groped and thrashed her before hitting her cousin again.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Police said the two raised the alarm and students residing in the building as well as nearby residents rushed to their help.
“They caught hold of Manpreet and beat him up him before alerting the police control room and handing him over to police.
Kamal managed to escape. But we tracked him down and arrested him on Saturday morning,” a senior police officer said.
A case under Sections 354(a), 354(b), 341 and 323 of the IPC and Section 3 of the Prevention of Atrocities Act was registered against the two men.
Angered by the fact that Kamal had managed to escape, the students and locals allegedly began throwing stones at police.
Police have registered a second FIR of rioting and obstructing a public servant in the discharge of his duties against those who were part of the mob.