A 30-year-old man on Wednesday turned himself in to police after murdering his wife.
The accused, Lakshman Gupta, strangled his wife Suman to death at their rented house in Northeast Delhi’s Khajuri Khas on Monday night, police said.
Police said then Gupta decided to end his life by jumping in front of a train, but couldn’t muster courage to do so. He spent the night at a temple. The next day morning, walked into Khajuri Khas police station, and admitted to the murder, police said.
- Jharkhand: Man beheads wife, 16-year-old daughter calls up police
- ‘Missing’ mother found dead, three held in Sitapur
- Delhi: Man dies in custody, four cops face action
- 6 murders, 2 hours, 1 accused: Haryana town’s night of horror
- Chandigarh: Couple among four persons sentenced to life
- Aiding & Abetting wife’s suicide: Man gets 4-year jail with father, fined Rs 2,000 each
He told police that he was unhappy with his wife, who he alleged would beat him.
“A police team was sent to his house, where it found Suman’s body. On Monday night, he said they had a fight during which he killed her,” a police officer said.
Lakshman worked at a welder’s workshop in Khajuri Khas. Police said the couple had married four years ago and had no children. He belongs to Aligarh, while Suman was from Varanasi.
Police have registered a case of murder under Section 302 of the IPC and arrested Gupta. Suman’s body was sent for postmortem.