A 14-year-old boy and his grandfather were killed after the Scooty they were riding was hit by a speeding Toyota Fortuner on Monday morning in East Delhi’s Anand Vihar area. Police said the driver of the SUV managed to flee the spot.
According to police, the victims have been identified as Rishabh and his grandfather Sulekh Chand (65). “The incident occurred on Monday morning when Rishabh and Chand were on their way home. The over-speeding Fortuner rammed into the Scooty from behind at Ashoka Niketan signal,” a police officer said.
Eyewitnesses told police that the impact was such that the Scooty was dragged atleast 50 mts by the SUV before coming to a halt.
- Five dead, dozens injured as bus rams into truck in Haryana
- Mohali: Gym trainer, minor killed in two road accidents
- Bawana road accident: Two doctors killed as scooter ‘runs into truck parked on wrong side; police look for driver
- 28-year-old killed, wife injured as speeding SUV hits motorcycle
- Putting up safety sign, man mowed down by speeding car in Delhi, two injured
- 4-year-old killed by speeding tempo,driver held
“Some passersby made a call to the PCR. The victims were rushed to a nearby hospital where they were declared brought dead,” the officer said.
On the basis of the PCR call, a case of rash and negligent driving has been registered at Anand Vihar police station. Rishabh’s body has been sent for an autopsy, police said.
“We have managed to identify the vehicle (registration number: UP-14 CN 9500) with the help of eyewitnesses and are now trying to trace the driver. We have recorded the statement of witnesses and are questioning others,” a senior police officer said.