Man chokes to death while cleaning drain outside Delhi mall

The deceased has been identified as Chandan, who was a native of West Bengal and was living in the capital in Bengali Basti in Jai Hind Camp with his family, police said.

By: PTI | New Delhi | Published:November 11, 2016 10:11 pm

A scavenger died while another was hospitalised after they inhaled the pungent-smelling methane gas on Friday while cleaning a drain outside south Delhi’s Vasant Square Mall, as the police booked the mall owner for alleged negligence. The deceased has been identified as Chandan, who was a native of West Bengal and was living in the capital in Bengali Basti in Jai Hind Camp with his family, police said.

On Friday morning, Chandan and his colleague Israil, both aged between 25-28, went to clean the choked drain outside the mall. When Chandan went inside, he fainted due to the pungent odour, said a senior police officer. Israil panicked on seeing Chandan’s condition and jumped inside to rescue him. However, he also fainted due to the effect of the gas, said the officer.

A beat constable who saw Israil jumping in the sewer arranged for a rope and sought help from passersby to pull the duo out of the drain. After Israil and Chandan were pulled out, they were rushed to a nearby hospital where Chandan was declared brought dead, the officer said, adding that Israil is currently undergoing treatment and his condition is stated to be critical.

A case under IPC sections 337 (Causing hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 304A (causing death by negligence) has been registered against the mall owner. Both of them were employees of World Class Services Private Limited.