The Public Works Department is planning to construct a loop near AIIMS flyover, under Barapullah Phase-II, which will not only cut down on travel time between the IGI Airport and North and East Delhi, but will also help to decongest South Extension, Moolchand and Ashram.
The PWD said it has received clearance from Unified Traffic and Transportation (Planning and Engineering) Centre to construct this loop which will start near the AIIMS flyover and extend all the way to Barapullah Elevated Road.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
This project will now be tabled before the Lt-Governor on Wednesday for his clearance.
The loop will cut away from the elevated road near the AIIMS flyover. A little before Dilli Haat, the road will turn right, go over Aurobindo Marg and touch down on the Barapullah Road, around 300m after the INA T-point,’’ a PWD official said.
Barapullah Phase-II will see the road being extended from Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium to INA Market.
“At present, anyone travelling from Dhaula Kuan and wanting to get on the Barapullah Elevated Road has to go through Sarojini Nagar, which is a very crowded route. With the construction of the loop, they will be able to travel from Dhaula Kuan and go towards ISBT without any hassle. For this, they will have to exit Barapullah road at Sarai Kale Khan and use the Ring Road bypass flyover towards ISBT,’’ the official said.
This will reduce the travel distance between Airport and North Delhi by nearly 5 km. The parking constructed by NDMC at Kushak nallah will be partially demolished to allow descent of the elevated road.
Once Phase-III of the Barapullah Elevated Road — from Sarai Kale Khan to Mayur Vihar — is completed, it will be possible to travel from Mayur Vihar up to AIIMS in less than 15 minutes.
“Similarly, people travelling towards East Delhi have to cross South Extension, Lajpat Nagar and Ashram, a route which is invariably crowded. This loop will help these commuters as it will cut down on travel time and they get to avoid the traffic on the Ring Road,’’ the official said.
Since Delhi Metro Rail Corporation is already carrying out work in this area, PWD is looking to take advantage of the barricading that is already up and start working on the loop as soon as the Lt Governor clears it.
A U-turn will also be provided a little before Aurobindo Marg T-point to facilitate movement of residents of East Kidwai Nagar towards INA and surrounding areas.