BJP MP from New Delhi constituency Meenakshi Lekhi was appointed a member of the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) on Friday.
Lekhi, who defeated Congress heavyweight Ajay Maken in her debut Lok Sabha election, took oath on Friday after the civic body received a notification from the Union Home Ministry.
Lekhi will preside over NDMC meetings, whenever she attends them. She will also be the second MP to be part of the council after amendments were made in the NDMC Act in 2011.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Before Lekhi, Maken was a member as per the amended rules. According to the amendment, members of NDMC will hereafter include the MP and MLA from New Delhi Lok Sabha and Assembly constituency.
The ceremony was held during the council meeting, which was also attended by AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal and other council members. Since Kejriwal became MLA from New Delhi, he is now an NDMC member.
Lekhi also made a number of announcements on the occasion, ranging from construction of flats for economically weaker sections (EWS) to making NDMC areas plastic-free.