BJP MP from New Delhi constituency Meenakshi Lekhi was appointed a member of the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) on Friday.
Lekhi, who defeated Congress heavyweight Ajay Maken in her debut Lok Sabha election, took oath on Friday after the civic body received a notification from the Union Home Ministry.
Lekhi will preside over NDMC meetings, whenever she attends them. She will also be the second MP to be part of the council after amendments were made in the NDMC Act in 2011.
Before Lekhi, Maken was a member as per the amended rules. According to the amendment, members of NDMC will hereafter include the MP and MLA from New Delhi Lok Sabha and Assembly constituency.
The ceremony was held during the council meeting, which was also attended by AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal and other council members. Since Kejriwal became MLA from New Delhi, he is now an NDMC member.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Lekhi also made a number of announcements on the occasion, ranging from construction of flats for economically weaker sections (EWS) to making NDMC areas plastic-free.