Saturday, Apr 25, 2015

Lawyer came to city from MP to throw ink on Sahara chief

Manoj Sharma outside the Supreme Court on Tuesday. (Ravi Kanojia) Manoj Sharma outside the Supreme Court on Tuesday. (Ravi Kanojia)
By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Published on:March 5, 2014 1:01 am

Manoj Sharma, a 47-year-old advocate hailing from Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, was arrested for allegedly throwing ink at Sahara chief Subrata Roy when he was brought to the Supreme Court on Tuesday afternoon.

The incident was reported around 2 pm at the entrance to the court. Sharma hails from Guddi Gudda village in Lashkar, Gwalior.

Sharma told police that he came to know that Roy would be produced before the court on Tuesday afternoon. He arrived in the capital by Dakshin Express on Monday and spent the night at the railway station before reaching the Supreme Court in the morning.

He came with a bottle of ink and waited for Roy to get off the police vehicle in which he arrived from Noida. Roy was reportedly put up at a hotel in Okhla on Monday.

As soon as Roy stepped out, Sharma, who was already inside the court premises, threw the ink at Roy, shouting “Sahara chor hai”. He was immediately caught. Those present on the premises beat him up and tore his clothes before handing him over to police. Sharma was taken to the Tilak Marg police station.

Sources said police officers and Sahara employees had already positioned themselves in and around the court complex before Roy’s arrival. Security personnel had temporarily closed one of the two entry gates around 1 pm. However, Sharma, being an advocate, had entered the complex.

DCP (New Delhi) SBS Tyagi said, “Sharma has been arrested under preventive sections of the law under sections 107/151 CrPC.”

In 2011, Sharma, police said, had thrown a slipper at Congress MP Suresh Kalmadi. According to police, Sharma had in 2006 made a fake death certificate of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee to show how corruption was rampant and how easy it was to make such fake certificates.

Between 2006 and 2007, Sharma, who has a wife and three children, was the joint secretary of the Gwalior Bar Association. Sharma also has a case of attempt to murder against him for allegedly assaulting an SDM in Gwalior.

Do you like this story