National-level kabaddi player Rohit Kumar Chillar’s wife, Lalita (27), was found hanging at her parents’ house in West Delhi’s Nangloi area, police said Tuesday. In a two-page “suicide note” addressed to her father, Lalita alleged that her husband and in-laws had tortured her for dowry, added police.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Chillar and Lalita got married seven months ago. This was Lalita’s second marriage, police said. A magisterial inquiry was ordered after Lalita’s family alleged that her in-laws had harassed her for dowry. Police are looking for Chillar’s parents. A case was registered against Chillar and his parents under IPC sections 304-B (dowry death) and 498-A (husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty) at Nangloi police station, said police. Chillar is employed with the Indian Navy and plays for Bengaluru Bulls in the Pro Kabaddi League. Police said they were trying to get in touch with him.
In her “suicide note”, Lalita apologised to her father even as she listed the torture she faced, police sources said.
Vijay Kumar, DCP (west district), said Lalita had been staying with her parents since September 24. “Her death came to light Monday around 7.20 pm after we received a PCR call. After reaching the spot, we came to know she had committed suicide by hanging herself from a ceiling fan. Apart from the note, we have recovered an audio clip from her phone in which she stated she would want her husband to cremate her. She also said her phone should be handed over to him.”
He added, “We are looking for Chillar’s parents, as they are absconding, and trying to get in touch with Chillar, who is said to be in Mumbai. The statement of the girl’s family has been recorded in front of the magistrate and inquest proceedings are on.”
Lalita’s father, Karan Singh, said Chillar dropped his daughter midway instead of bringing her home on September 24. “She was very disturbed since then. On Monday evening, we had gone to Gurdwara Bangla Sahib to pray for her. She was alone at home from 2 pm. She told us would clean the house for Diwali. When we returned, she did not open the door. We broke the door and found her hanging,” he said.
Singh claimed they had gifted a sedan to Chillar’s family during the wedding, but they were demanding an SUV. Singh said Lalita and Chillar had met about 10 months ago through a common friend.