With new mayors set to be elected in all three municipal corporations, jockeying has begun in the state BJP unit.
A meeting was called on Monday, where leaders were supposed to propose the names of probable candidates. “The meeting was essentially to bring the leaders face to face, who could then recommend names so that everyone would know who was proposing whose name. This way, the probable names would be out in the open,” a senior leader said.
The probable names were supposed to be decided by April 13, April 14 and April 16 for East, North and South respectively, but then the date was extended to April 16. This time, it is the turn of the general category. “Asked to give one name each, not many decided to do that. Then, it was decided that the final say in the matter will be with the Delhi unit chief,” the leader said.
- UP urban local body poll review: BJP holds meetings to identify workers who went against candidates
- Tickets for municipal elections: Setback for Sidhu, Congress to prefer loyalty over new entrants
- With Shiv Sena support, BJP fields Prasad Lad for MLC bypoll
- Congress senior leaders to campaign, first list of candidates likely on Thursday
- In a first, BJP readies manifesto for UP local body polls
- ‘A matter of prestige’: BJP kicks off preparations for ULB elections
If sources are to be believed, senior leaders even had an altercation in the meeting over the participation of senior leaders in the party’s Delhi unit matters.
Elections for the mayor of East corporation will take place on April 27 whereas the North mayor will be elected on April 28 and South on April 24.