With new mayors set to be elected in all three municipal corporations, jockeying has begun in the state BJP unit.
A meeting was called on Monday, where leaders were supposed to propose the names of probable candidates. “The meeting was essentially to bring the leaders face to face, who could then recommend names so that everyone would know who was proposing whose name. This way, the probable names would be out in the open,” a senior leader said.
The probable names were supposed to be decided by April 13, April 14 and April 16 for East, North and South respectively, but then the date was extended to April 16. This time, it is the turn of the general category. “Asked to give one name each, not many decided to do that. Then, it was decided that the final say in the matter will be with the Delhi unit chief,” the leader said.
- Manoj Tiwari, Vijay Goel tussle could explain why BJP has no Leaders of House
- Lucknow: After Assembly losses, Cong looks forward to local body polls
- Cong’s Bassi, BJP’s Sood likely to face each other in mayoral polls
- BJP women to become mayors in North and East Delhi
- Ravinder Pal Singh is Cong choice for mayors post,Rajesh Gupta is BJPs
- State BJP may get new chief in a week
If sources are to be believed, senior leaders even had an altercation in the meeting over the participation of senior leaders in the party’s Delhi unit matters.
Elections for the mayor of East corporation will take place on April 27 whereas the North mayor will be elected on April 28 and South on April 24.