- Anti-Sterlite protests HIGHLIGHTS: Tamil Nadu govt orders suspension of internet services in Tuticorin, adjoining districts
- Kolkata Knight Riders beat Rajasthan Royals by 25 runs, play Sunrisers Hyderabad in the second qualifier
- Major Leetul Gogoi, who tied J-K man to jeep, questioned over woman at hotel
Following demands from the ABVP, Jawaharlal Nehru University ( JNU) on Tuesday gave a go-ahead to renaming the university’s central library as B R Ambedkar Library.
In April, the ABVP had demanded that a statue of Ambedkar be installed there. The university’s executive council — the university’s statutory decision making body — passed the proposal on Tuesday after discussion.
“The proposal was placed before the council today and was approved unanimously ,” an executive council member said. The ABVP had also written to President Pranab Mukherjee and HRD Ministry demanding the renaming of the library after Ambedkar, the convention centre after A P J Abdul Kalam and the stadium ground after the freedom fighter Birsa Munda.
- Matter is closed, CUG tells 9 teachers
- JNU tense after violence at film screening sparks protests
- After complaint, nine Gujarat varsity teachers asked: why did you attend Congress event?
- The discovery of Ambedkar
- Ambedkar: JNU to rename library after BR Ambedkar; students demand stipend, teachers ask solution for seat cuts
- JNU plans to rename roads in campus after visionaries
Thanking the EC, Saurabh Sharma from ABVP said, “ I want to thank executive council members for passing the proposal to rename the library after Babasaheb. They haven’t just accepted JNU students’ demands, but also given him respect. But our demands are not done. We will fight for renaming the stadium after Birsa Munda and the convention centre after Kalam”.
The executive council members said no proposals about the convention centre or the stadium ground were placed before it Tuesday.