The Special Cell of the Delhi Police on Saturday filed a supplementary chargesheet against Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar in connection with the September 2010 Jama Masjid terror attack case. Two Taiwanese tourists had sustained bullet injuries in the attack.
Police filed its final report before Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash against Bhatkal and Akhtar under various sections of the IPC, including 307 (attempt to murder), 120B (criminal conspiracy), provisions of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Arms Act.
In the chargesheet, police said Bhatkal was instructed by the group’s Pakistan-based handlers to carry out attacks just before the beginning of the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
The chargesheet stated that the conspiracy was hatched to “dissuade foreign nations from participating in the CWG and to portray the image of India, the host nation, as weak and disturbed”.
Police said for the plan, Yasin had procured a carbine and a pistol and the initial plan was to target foreign tourists at the German Bakery at Paharganj in Delhi.
It further said in mid-2010, accused Qateel Siddiqui, who died under mysterious circumstances in Pune’s Yerawada Jail in 2012, had hurt himself in an accidental firing of the carbine and the plan to strike at German Bakery was aborted.
Police said thereafter, Bhatkal planned to carry out a terror strike at Jama Masjid. On September 19, 2010, IM operatives opened fire at tourists getting off a bus near gate number three of the mosque.
Bhatkal also planted a pressure cooker IED in a car outside Jama Masjid and a mild explosion had taken place after the firing incident, police said. The court has fixed April 31 as the date for scrutiny of chargesheet.
Police in the chargesheet has claimed that seven accused, including Siddiqui, were arrested and chargesheeted in connection with the case and, during investigation, they had disclosed that they were members of the IM.
It said after the plan to carry out an attack at German Bakery failed, Pakistan-based top IM leaders sent Pakistani national and IM operative Zia-ur-Rehman alias Waqas, who was recently arrested, and Tabrez to carry out a terror strike.
The police said during investigation, Akhtar had disclosed that towards the end of July 2010, IM co-founder Riyaz Bhatkal had told him that India was hosting CWG and it was a perfect time to carry out a terror strike as the anniversary of the Batla House encounter was also coming up.
“Riyaz had also told him (Akhtar) that Yasin had made a plan for attacking foreigners in Delhi and Pakistani national Adil had been sent to India to assist Yasin in this task,” the chargesheet said.
Best of Express