They may still have a million “clicks” and “likes” to go, but armed with about 300 hits so far, three women from Chandigarh have their road map in place. Piyoosha Sharma, Suneeta Dhariwal and Manisha have started a one-of-its-kind online television channel, WTV, by women and for women. The channel screens news bulletins, documentaries and talk shows for its female audience.
“Work began about four months ago when I met Suneeta,” says Sharma, a marketing professional. Dhariwal is a social activist and Manisha, a journalist. “We chose an online platform because it is financially viable, involves instant uploading of content, instant feedback and has a worldwide audience reach,” says Sharma.
Their research showed them that women are increasingly using social networking sites to connect with the world and they felt it was time to deliver quality content to such an audience. The trio want to focus on issues and subjects that are often sidelined or not shown on prime time television. “We feel there is a constant flow of negative news, like crime and rape. Seldom do we come across anything positive or encouraging,”says Dhariwal.
“It’s a tall order because India is huge, diverse and multi-lingual. We have members and volunteers in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, and Kolkata, who are on board. They include consultants, reporters and documentary makers,” says Dhariwal.
Although they pitch it as a non-profit organisation, their initial capital is being partly raised through a membership fee. “It’s a one-time fee. Members can sign in and help other women. For instance, hold online workshops, create awareness on rights, or give ideas that will help women become financially stable,” says Dhariwal. For more, log on to http://www.wtvindia.com.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More