With Indian Boxing Federation’s return to the international fold likely to take time, the Indian Olympic Association is set to constitute a committee to pick the teams for the upcoming Commonwealth and Asian Games.
A top IOA official told PTI that in view of the upcoming Glasgow CWG (July 23-August 3) and Incheon Asian Games (September 19-October 4), a committee will be constituted to pick the India boxers as the deadline for sending the final list of participants for these showpiece multi-sporting events is approaching fast.
“The CWG and Asiad are a few months away and deadline for sending final list of participants will be approaching. But the situation is fluid now as we don’t know how long it takes for the boxing issue to be resolved,” the official said.
“So, we have decided to form a committee to pick teams for the CWG and Asian Games. It may be done during the April 3 Executive Committee meeting or a few days later. We have to do it fast,” he added.
The committee is expected to be assisted by boxing coaches and other technical staff in picking the players.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The International Boxing Federation (AIBA) has suspended the IBF on the suspicion of “manipulation” in the 2012 elections. AIBA has now invited applications from various Indian boxing groups to contest an election to find out who or which group can run the sport in the country.
Asked if the IOA’s step would not take it to a collision course with the AIBA, the official said: “AIBA had asked for IOA’s cooperation in resolving the issue in a letter sent to us. So I don’t see any issue in that.
“Moreover, it’s about India’s prestige and performance in these two major Games. We have to think about winning medals and if the boxing issue is not solved before CWG and Asian Games, should not we send our boxers?” he asked.
Meanwhile, IOA chief N Ramachandran has met International Olympic Committee chief Thomas Bach in Lausanne. Ramachandran is expected to brief the details of the meeting to the IOA top brass in its executive committee meeting here on April 3.