Two days before the capital celebrates International Yoga Day, yoga guru Ramdev will set the tone with a special session at Rajpath. Nearly 27,000 people are expected to take part in this yoga session on June 19.
Plans to mark International Yoga Day on June 21 were discussed at two meetings chaired by Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung Wednesday.
On June 21, a special programme is planned at Central Park, Connaught Place, and its radial roads. Nearly 10,000 people, including diplomats, paramilitary personnel and Delhi Police personnel, are expected to gather at Central Park for the event. Additionally, 100 resident welfare associations will organise yoga sessions in their localities. The city’s civic bodies too have planned to commemorate the day. The DDA has lined up yoga meets at Rohini and Dwarka. The education department is planning to hold an event at Chhatrasal Stadium.
- International Yoga Day: On day of calm, some left angry at Rajpath’s shut gate
- Over 1.25 crore joined International Yoga Day celebrations in Gujarat
- PM Modi leads International Yoga Day celebrations, says it is ‘more than just physical fitness’
- International Yoga Day: PM Modi joins thousands at Rajpath in world record bid
- Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia to attend Yoga Day celebrations at Rajpath
- Army to celebrate Yoga Day at Siachen base, across the seas
An International Conference on Yoga shall be held at Vigyan Bhavan on June 22-23. Nearly 3,000 delegates are expected at the conference. “By celebrating International Yoga Day, the objective is to mainstream the principle of ‘healthy body, healthy mind’ which will ensure not just the health of our citizens but also of our society as a whole,” Jung said in a statement.
Vice-Chancellor of Jamia Millia Islamia said the university was organising yoga classes, and about 600 students and staff will participate in a yoga meet on June 21. Awareness about yoga will be spread through Jamia Radio.
JNU shall organise yoga workshops and hold special lecture series on campus for students and staff.
DU has planned events on June 20-21. IGNOU too plans to organise lectures on yoga and pranayam across its regional centres. Ambedkar University is set to launch a week-long exhibition on yoga from June 21.