The BJP has decided to revamp its Delhi unit ahead of fresh Assembly polls. With Harsh Vardhan tipped to get a Cabinet berth, the party’s Delhi unit is likely to get a new president.
Speculation is rife that Harsh Vardhan could be the next Union health minister.
Sources said the BJP wants the new state chief to have some months’ time to prepare the organisation for fresh polls.
According to senior leaders, several names are in the reckoning for the post of Delhi BJP president and that the party brass, in consultation with the RSS, will finalise the new president.
The names doing the rounds for the post of Delhi unit chief are Satish Upadhyay, Parvesh Sahib Singh and Alok Kumar. While Upadhyay is the current Standing Committee chief of South corporation, Singh’s standing in the party has increased following the Assembly and Lok Sabha polls. Kumar is considered close to the RSS.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Earlier, when Vijay Goel was to be replaced and the party had appointed Harsh Vardhan as the Delhi unit chief as a stop-gap arrangement, Kumar’s name was considered too, but his candidature did not gain much traction as opponents listed his failure to win the Assembly elections. He had contested from Rohtas Nagar.
Senior leaders, who are part of the consultation process for appointing a new state BJP president, believe that with Modi at the Centre, the state unit will get a dynamic leader as president.
But municipal councillors feel Harsh Vardhan should once again lead the party in the Assembly polls. “We performed so well in the Lok Sabha elections as well as in the Assembly elections under the leadership of Harsh Vardhan. We wish that he should be appointed chief minister if the party comes to power,” Deputy Mayor in North corporation Ravinder Gupta said.
Gupta said although he was unaware of what the senior leadership had in store for Harsh Vardhan, councillors felt he was the best candidate for the post of chief minister.
Meanwhile, the North corporation on Wednesday elected Mohan Bhardwaj and Rekha Gupta as Chairman and Deputy Chairman of its Standing Committee respectively.
Both the councillors were unanimously elected to the posts. Bhardwaj represents Bankner constituency while Gupta represents Pitampura North.
Earlier, the BJP swept the internal elections in all three corporations, giving the party control over the lowest level of governance in the capital.