The Delhi Cabinet on Tuesday approved the setting up of Mahila Suraksha Dal, a commando force that will be responsible for ensuring the safety of women in the capital. Setting up a special security force for women was one of the election promises made by the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), which had, in the run-up to the Assembly elections, accused the previous Congress government of not doing enough to ensure the safety of women in the city.
Urban Development Minister Manish Sisodia said a high-level committee headed by the chief secretary had been formed to recommend ways for constituting Mahila Suraksha Dals across the city.
The committee will comprise of the principal secretary (home), Director-General (Home Guards) and director of women and child development as its members, to start with. The committee will submit its report by February 15.
The committee has been asked to work out the modalities for recruitment of retired army personnel and other servicemen, who will assist Home Guards in the Mahila Suraksha Dals.
The women security force will not have police powers. The government will bear the financial burden of constituting the force.
The terms of reference for the committee include examining the existing number of courts in the city and to recommend how many new courts will be required to function as special fast-track courts to try criminal cases involving heinous crimes against women.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Another proposal passed by the Cabinet was the setting up of a high-level committee headed by the chief secretary to resolve the issue of temporary, contractual and casual employees in all departments, offices and autonomous bodies.
The committee will submit its report within a month. It will have 12 members, including Prakash Chander (a retired IAS officer), M M Kutty (Finance Secretary), A S Yadav (Law Secretary), Arun Baroka, Principal Secretary (PWD), and Piyush Sharma (Additional Commissioner, Labour).
The committee will examine the number of employees without permanent jobs, posts vacant, status of recruitment processes and the legal, technical and financial aspects of giving preference to existing employees. “We will go by procedure in making contractual workers permanent and we cannot bypass that process…,” Sisodia said.