In a bizarre case, doctors of a city hospital found 12 gold biscuits each weighing 33g inside the abdomen of a 63-year-old businessman.
The businessman had come to the hospital for surgery, stating that he had swallowed a water bottle cap and wanted to get it out of his body.
“He approached us on April 7 seeking surgery to remove a water bottle cap which he claimed he had accidentally swallowed. We got an X-ray done and it didn’t appear to be a cap. As the gold bars got stacked one behind the other it appeared to be a metal,” said Dr C S Ramachandran, senior consulting surgeon at Sir Ganga Ram hospital.
A team of doctors operated upon him on Apr 9 to get through the abdominal cavity and remove the foreign metal. “We were shocked to find not one but 12 gold biscuits in his abdomen. When we asked him he was not ready to speak. We immediately sealed them in a container and handed it over to the medical superitendent,” said Dr Ramachandran adding that the patient was discharged on Apr 15.
The hospital authorities later informed the police and subsequently custom department officials were informed. Dr Ramachandran said that the patient, a businessman from Chandni Chowk was a known patient and he had operated upon him thrice in the past since 1989.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“He was operated for gall bladder removal, appendicitis and incisional hernia. He had diabetes. We were shocked when gold biscuits came out of his abdomen during the operation.
“But I am at least happy that I could save his life. If it would have stayed inside for couple of more days, it would have led to severe bleeding and rapture of the intestine and septicemia. Moreover, he had severe diabetes,” said the doctor.
According to hospital sources, the man had swallowed the 12 gold biscuits, worth approximately Rs 12 lakhs in all, to smuggle them into the country from Singapore 10 days ago.
He landed in trouble when he failed to get it out through his stool. It eventually started hurting him because of which he apprached the doctors.