A 16-year-old girl died after she allegedly set herself on fire on Thursday night in Ghaziabad.
Police said just days ago, a 16-year-old boy was sent to a remand home in Meerut for allegedly molesting her.
While police maintained that the “suicide” was “being investigated”, sources said the girl was depressed after the boy was taken away.
AP (City) Ajay Pal said an FIR was lodged against the 16-year-old boy on March 27 under IPC sections pertaining to molestation.
- UP: To ‘save honour’, girl attempts suicide in Hamirpur after drunk youth demands she marry him
- She wanted to become a police officer so she could curb molestation: Family of 17-year-old girl who committed suicide
- Delhi: Harassed by boys, 16-year-old commits suicide
- Hyderabad teen suicide: 3 school officials, including teacher, arrested
- UP: ‘Molested’ teen hangs self after returning from medical check-up
- Minor girl suicide: Abetment case against boy’s family, teacher
“He was taken away to a remand home on March 29 and the matter was under investigation.”
On Thursday night, the girl, a Class X student, allegedly doused herself in kerosene and set herself ablaze. Police did not confirm whether a suicide note has been recovered. A senior police officer said, “We have spoken to members of her family and also her friends. It seems that she had wanted to marry the boy, but her family had objected because they belonged to different religions. They (the girl’s family members) had filed the case against the boy. But we have not found any evidence that backs the allegation of molestation.”
At the time of the incident, the girl was at home with her mother, police said. Though her mother tried to douse the flames, police said the post-mortem report stated that she suffered 90 per cent burns.
Pal said though the girl’s family has not filed a complaint over her death, police were investigating the matter. “As of now, we can’t comment on why she killed herself. We are investigating the matter from all angles,” he said.