According to sources, the meeting, fixed for 8.45 pm on Thursday, will be held at German ambassador Michael Steiner’s residence in Chanakyapuri.
Gauck has a strong political activist background, being at the forefront of the opposition in the erstwhile East Germany. He was among the initiators of the church and popular resistance to the communist regime in East Germany and led the weekly prayers for peace, which gave rise to the protest demonstrations.
Later, he served as federal commissioner for the Stasi Archives and earned recognition for exposing the Stasi’s crimes.
Sensing Gauck’s inclination to meet with Kejriwal — who also had an activist background — German ambassador Michael Steiner had approached the chief minister’s office for a meeting. However, the proposal was declined.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
During ‘At Home’ by President Pranab Mukherjee on January 26, Steiner approached Kejriwal and told him about the request being turned down by the CMO.
At the time, Kejriwal promised to reschedule some of his appointments and work out the possibility of calling on the visiting President. Sources said the meeting was scheduled after this impromptu meeting between the envoy and the CM.
Asked if Gauck will be meeting Kejriwal, Steiner on Monday said, “I read the reports, as did everybody, in quality press in India. I do not want to comment further. We are talking about an elected Chief Minister who happens to be the Chief Minister of Delhi.”
Asked if this meant that Guack and Kejriwal were not meeting, Steiner said, “I did not say that,” and declined to comment further.
Steiner has been a vocal and politically active ambassador in the capital, and had taken the lead for hosting the lunch for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi last year, ending European Union’s 10-year boycott.
He has also opposed the death sentence of Devender Pal Singh Bhullar and has made pleas to the Indian government on commuting his punishment.
The German President, too, may reiterate his country’s position against death penalty when he meets Kejriwal.