As the controversy on the fate of the four-year undergraduate programme rages, Delhi University (DU) colleges, caught in the midst of undergraduate admissions, expect a delay in the admission process this year. Following UGC’s letters, St Stephen’s College on Sunday announced that the “final admissions” to the college have been deferred.
“In view of the reported UGC directive to the University of Delhi regarding its undergraduate programmes (FYUP), St Stephen’s College, while continuing with the ongoing selection process, including the publication of provisional lists of selected and waitlisted candidates for various courses, shall defer final admissions till a decision is taken on the matter by the competent authority,” principal Valson Thampu said.
St Stephen’s College, a minority institution, follows admission rules different from most other colleges under DU. With the college having declared cut-offs for undergraduate courses under the four-year format, interviews for admission in the college are underway. The college has also uploaded a list of students selected for admission to Sanskrit (Honours) under the four-year programme.
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
Stating that the admission interviews will continue as per schedule, Thampu’s statement said, “St Stephen’s will admit students only to duly approved courses. Students seeking admission to a particular course need to have definitive information about the structure and duration of the courses they join. The ‘admission list’ being put up now is, hence, provisional. The final admission to all courses, including payment of fees, is deferred till a decision on the matter is taken by the university/UGC.”
With the first cut-off list for undergraduate admissions expected on Tuesday, other colleges feel that the admission schedule will have to be changed. A senior official at a South Campus college said, “We don’t see classes beginning in July. There will be a delay of at least two or three weeks. The schedule has been drawn up. If there is a rollback, we will have to start the admission process afresh.”
Ramjas College principal Rajendra Prasad also pointed out the roadblocks colleges will face in case the four-year course is rolled back.
“There are a lot of things which will have to revised. We will need around one week to start the admission process,” Prasad said.
Under the four-year undergraduate system, Pass/Programme courses such as BCom (P), BA (P), BSc Life Sciences, among others, had been done away with. The seats of these courses had been distributed among the Honours courses. A reversal to the three-year format, Prasad said, would mean a re-distribution of these seats.
“Two years ago, I was admitting 40-50 students in BCom (Honours). Following the four-year undergraduate course, some seats of BCom (Pass) went to BCom (Honours) and we admitted around 120 students. If there is a reversal, these seats will have to go back to Programme course,” Prasad added.
Pointing to the UGC’s letter warning colleges of freezing of funds, Prasad said this was “too big a threat” as colleges survive on the financial banking of the UGC.