A four-year-old girl died after falling into a 10-ft deep manhole in north Delhi’s Burari area on Saturday evening. Police said the girl was playing outside her home when she fell into the manhole. The landlord of the house the girl lived in has been arrested in connection with the incident.
According to police, the landlord, Bir Singh, removed the manhole’s cover as he wanted to replace it. He allegedly did not inform anyone of the same and went to a nearby market to buy another cover. In the meantime, the girl fell into it. Unaware that she had fallen in it, the landlord returned and covered the manhole. The girl’s body was recovered six hours later, police said.
- In Maharashtra, a baby girl gets Aadhaar number in 6 minutes of birth
- Newton box office collection day 3: Will Rajkummar Rao film's continue to perform well?
- Haseena Parkar box office collection day 3: Will Shraddha Kapoor's film show improvement as the week comes to an end?
- Kuldeep Yadav has to bowl in Tests so we can assess him logically, says Bishen Singh Bedi
- People making up their minds to show BJP 'bure din': Mayawati
- India vs Australia, 3rd ODI: Yuzvendra Chahal makes Glenn Maxwell his bunny again
Confirming the arrest, DCP (north) Madhur Verma said a case has been registered under appropriate sections of the IPC.
Police said the girl has been identified as Nikki. “The incident occurred around 4 pm on Saturday. Nikki, along with her sister Sano and their mother, were sleeping inside their home. Nikki later woke up and came outside to play,” the victim’s uncle Anil Kumar said. Her father was not at home when the incident occurred.
Nikki’s relatives alleged that the landlord wanted to replace the manhole’s cover. “Singh took the cover to the local market and left the manhole open for around three hours, without informing anyone. When Nikki came out to play, she fell into it. Singh later returned and closed the manhole,” Kumar added.
Hours after the incident, the mother woke up and found Nikki missing.
Police immediately lodged a case of kidnapping. “Around 10 pm, some neighbours informed Nikki’s parents that they had seen Singh removing the cover and suspected that Nikki could have fallen in,” a police officer said.