A four-year-old girl died after falling into a 10-ft deep manhole in north Delhi’s Burari area on Saturday evening. Police said the girl was playing outside her home when she fell into the manhole. The landlord of the house the girl lived in has been arrested in connection with the incident.
According to police, the landlord, Bir Singh, removed the manhole’s cover as he wanted to replace it. He allegedly did not inform anyone of the same and went to a nearby market to buy another cover. In the meantime, the girl fell into it. Unaware that she had fallen in it, the landlord returned and covered the manhole. The girl’s body was recovered six hours later, police said.
- Close all open manholes within 48 hours: BMC chief Ajoy Mehta directs civic officials
- 33-year-old sexually assaulted toddler in front of his kids: Delhi cops
- Dr Amarapurkar’s death: Hunt on for 6th accused, police likely to file chargesheet soon
- Dr Deepak Amarapurkar’s death: BMC report blames six for opening manhole
- Dr Amrapurkar’s death Fifth man held for ‘opening’ manhole
- Outrage after 2 fall in open manholes, die; BMC claims it did not open manhole
Confirming the arrest, DCP (north) Madhur Verma said a case has been registered under appropriate sections of the IPC.
Police said the girl has been identified as Nikki. “The incident occurred around 4 pm on Saturday. Nikki, along with her sister Sano and their mother, were sleeping inside their home. Nikki later woke up and came outside to play,” the victim’s uncle Anil Kumar said. Her father was not at home when the incident occurred.
Nikki’s relatives alleged that the landlord wanted to replace the manhole’s cover. “Singh took the cover to the local market and left the manhole open for around three hours, without informing anyone. When Nikki came out to play, she fell into it. Singh later returned and closed the manhole,” Kumar added.
Hours after the incident, the mother woke up and found Nikki missing.
Police immediately lodged a case of kidnapping. “Around 10 pm, some neighbours informed Nikki’s parents that they had seen Singh removing the cover and suspected that Nikki could have fallen in,” a police officer said.