Four persons were on Sunday detained for questioning in connection with the murder of BJP leader and Dadri Nagar Panchayat Chairman Geeta Pandit’s husband Vijay Pandit in Dadri area here even as police clamped prohibitory orders in Gautam Budh Nagar district.
Pandit was shot dead by four assailants last night following which his supporters torched 16 vehicles near Dadri police station and pelted stones at a police team. Police had to resort to firing in the air to control the mob. The clashes between the two sides continued till late last night.
BJP workers blocked traffic on the national highway in Dadri demanding arrest of the killers.
“PAC has been deployed in the area.The affected area has been cordoned off. Section 144 has been clamped. Anti-social elements will not be allowed to disturb law and order. Police have detained some persons and killers would be arrested soon,” District Magistrate A V.Rajamouli said.
“We have detained four persons for questioning.The deceased family had given names of some suspects. Manhunt has been launched to nab them,” police said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
BJP MP Mahesh Sharma has demanded the arrest of the killers and alleged there was jungle raj in the city as criminals were striking at will while the police failed to check rising crime. The killing of the BJP leader has “exposed” the law and order situation, he charged.
BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi charged, “Nothing like government can be seen in UP. Law and order situation has completely been destroyed and the UP government is responding in a very casual way towards it”.
Pandit had led the election campaign for the BJP candidate in recent elections.
Vijay’s brother Mukesh alleged that, “He was getting threat calls about which written complaints were lodged in
police station. But police took no action”.
Vijay’s brother runs a grocery shop on G T Road where shopkeepers downed the shutters of their business establishments and blocked the traffic in protest.
Condemning the murder, Congress leader Rashid Alvi said, “Incident is unfortunate. Those responsible must be punished.
“UP government has failed to maintain law and order in the state. Condition is very bad. People are losing faith. UP government must take steps immediately,” he alleged.