The rent of Rs 85,000 for AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal’s government accommodation — C-II/23 house at Tilak Lane in Central Delhi — has been paid by his IIT batchmates, the party said. The sum has been paid to the Delhi government and the PWD said it had received the payment.
“The rent of Rs 85,000 is being paid by Arvind Kejriwal’s batchmates from IIT,” AAP spokesperson Nagendar Sharma confirmed.
According to the party, these batchmates from IIT-Kharagpur are the same friends who had “pooled in money in 2011” to clear Kejriwal’s dues to the Income-Tax department. His friends had loaned Kejriwal over Rs 9 lakh after the I-T department said it wanted the dues cleared before his resignation from the Indian Revenue Service was accepted.
The government claimed he had violated bond rules by quitting the service before completing the mandatory three years after going on a study leave on full pay. However, Kejriwal maintained that he took “non-paid leaves” and quit the service after serving bond conditions.
“Kejriwal had sought extension to stay in the present accommodation till July 31 because of his daughter’s examination. Permission has been granted by the competent authority,” Sharma said.
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
Soon after resigning as chief minister on February 14, Kejriwal had said his daughter was appearing for her exams and he wanted to avoid shifting again as they had moved from his wife’s official residence in Kaushambi, Ghaziabad, to the Tilak Lane residence less than a month ago.
With a built-up area of 1,600 sqft and a small lawn adjacent to it, the present flat has three bedrooms. The PWD had, in March, served a notice on Kejriwal to pay rent of Rs 85,000 per month for the government accommodation as he had resigned from the chief minister’s post.
“The party will take a decision on where he will stay after vacating the accommodation,” Sharma said. Party members said Kejriwal had a flat in Gurgaon, but a final decision on his accommodation would be taken after the elections.