Just a day after the House suspended the partial powers of the Speaker, Leader of Opposition Harsh Vardhan threatened to remove Speaker Maninder Singh Dhir during the Assembly proceedings on Friday.
Harsh Vardhan’s comment came after Dhir announced the tabling of the Jan Lokpal Bill in the Assembly, despite fierce protests from the Congress and the BJP MLAs.
Following Dhir’s announcement, which was made at the behest of Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, Harsh Vardhan rose to protest against the Speaker’s conduct.
“The Lieutenant-Governor has asked the House not to consider the Bill without his recommendation, and yet you talk about the Constitution. The man who has 28 seats thinks he is above those who got 32. I am warning you, aapka naam kaale akhsharo mein likha jayega history mein (you name will go down in black letters in history). You cannot abuse power. And do not try to send a wrong message to the people. If you continue working against the Constitution, we will bring someone else in your place,” Harsh Vardhan said.
He also reminded the Speaker that he was the custodian of the rights of all MLAs and not just of the party he belonged to. “How can you have doubts about the L-G’s letter being a message or an order. Let’s have voting over this,” Harsh Vardhan said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
When the BJP and the Congress MLAs demanded that the Speaker read out the L-G’s letter to him, claiming they had a right to know the details, Dhir said, “I will place the letter as per convenience.”
“This is the Assembly you are talking to… We are demanding you to read out the L-G’s message to you,” HArsh Vardhan said.
He also asked the CM to apologise on holding House on Ravidass Jayanti. “The CM should accept his fault and apologise. Accepting your mistake doesn’t belittle you. This rule has been made in Parliament and the House should not be in session on such a day,” he said.