Five youths escaped from a juvenile correction home in Faridabad Saturday morning after overpowering the warden on duty at the main gate and snatching his keys, said police.
The incident took place at the juvenile correction home near Neelam Chowk in Faridabad at 11.30 am, while the head warden, Purshotam Lal, was on duty at the main gate, said police.
Two guards, who were on duty at the time of the incident, were posted in other areas of the premises. Lal had gone to the office to get a warrant and was overpowered by the five youths while he was walking back to the gate, said police.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
According to the complaint filed by Lal, while one of the five held “some kind of iron weapon” to his throat, another covered his mouth to keep him quiet. The warden said the remaining three boys grabbed the bunch of keys from his pocket and opened the main gate of the institution. Lal told police that once the gate was open, they released him and fled.
The entire incident was caught on CCTV, said police.
“Three of the boys were involved in cases of murder, and two in cases of robbery,” said Miter Pal, station house officer (SHO) of the NIT police station in Faridabad.
According to authorities, a similar incident had taken place nearly six months ago, when some inmates escaped after overpowering the warden and taking his keys. However, all of them were tracked down and apprehended within hours, said police.
Superintendent of the home Dinesh Yadav said it was running at triple its capacity and the security arrangements were not adequate to cover so many inmates.
“This correctional home can accommodate up to 25 children… we have 75 children in the home right now,” said Yadav.
“The security arrangements are adequate for only 25 children. We have six wardens and one head warden. If the number of occupants is triple of what this home can accommodate, the security arrangements should also be increased… otherwise how do we manage,” he added.
Yadav said the location of the correctional home — it is surrounded by buildings and shares a common boundary wall with some of them — makes it easy for inmates to escape.
“It is difficult to track them down after they escape,” said the superintendent.
On whether police have any leads about the whereabouts of the five youths, SHO Miter Pal said, “We still investigating the matter and hope that we will be able to nab them soon